My 2Cents on Digital Learning!
Online learning/classes have finally hit our globe from the lowest stage of education. You heard me right! This has gone as far as the nursery or pre-school level. This has become extremely popular as the global corona pandemic hit all the four corners of the world.
The African perspective is a sad one because we are not used to this and I tell you, I am struggling as a parent. Incredibly challenging to manage my personal work and online home school.
But I guess to the international community it has become extra popular because of its flexibility in all aspects. By the way we are also embracing it by force or by fire 😊 the same way I have loved to survive as an affiliate marketer with wealthy Affiliate as my job crumbled with the country’s lock down directive in march 2020.
Let’s see the Dis/advantages that online studying comes with.
Advantages of digital learning!
- No worries about Early morning Traffic: This is interesting because of no daily trips to school accompanied by early morning and evening traffic. It is obvious that your child is learning from the comfort of her home study room or living room 😊 or any where even deep in the rural. This is eventually cost effective as you won’t spend on fuel, no stressful traffic, out of home snacks among others.
- Flexibility in your schedules: Many parents across the world are full time employees/employers therefore assumed to have a congested schedule. Digital learning comes in handy for you to choose time to learn. This is not necessarily for students. This cuts across.
90% of the working population were forced to work from home this year after the outbreak of the pandemic. Schools, public and offices being closed, Digital learning and working welcome us with a smile. That’s why, schoolwork can be handed in very early in the morning or even at night depending on the deadline set.
This is actually amazing that even me the most rigid African parent is now busy with my toddlers in our digital classroom every day. Thanks to google classroom.
- No Scholastic materials required. Digital learning comes with almost all required materials to use for the lesson or subject. This is actually true for all levels. Yes, even with our usual online courses that have rocked the internet for a while. All you need is good internet, laptop or computer, tablets or smartphone. Chats, forums, are interestingly available for interaction between learners and their teachers.
- Bonus with Digital classes: We have seen transportation costs reducing to zero 😊 You heard me well, online classes actually charge less compared to the traditional classes as there is reduced expenses on the school in terms of infrastructure, administration, security, and other expenses for physical facilities.
Disadvantages of Digital learning:
- No student-teacher personal interaction. A This is actually a challenge to me as a parent. My Children believe their teachers are better than me 😊 Leave me a comment if you are in my category 😊
Psychology has it that learner’s value their relationship with their teachers more and consider it to be a fundamental aspect of their learning process as compared to their parents. I agree that some digital classes offer an option of interacting with teachers through chats or even email, but I still feel this is not the same as personal interactions.
- No direct peer socialization: Children love to play, chitchat with their friends and build their small relationships in a traditional school setting. This actually keeps pushing them to go back each day in order to re unite with their little buddies.
While growing up, I preferred to revise my books in a group and this helped me grasp content much better than when I read alone. This I think happens to other people. With Digital learning, its really hard to bond with virtual buddies.
- Hard to Keep on truck! In our normal traditional school setting, when you get distracted, your class teacher can easily help you get back in order. Now imagine they know when their favorite cartoons air, smell the food when its almost ready even when its not eating time. This is real disaster. By the way there are no competing classmates online. Who will push them to stay on truck without all that? I really do not like digital classes because they encroach on my personal work and time because I am the teacher. Yes me 😊
But do I have a choice? May be you have, please share with me your views . You never know your thought can change someone’s perspective.
Feel free to search and enrich yourself with Jaaxy